I was happy to have an entire day to myself Sunday to work on the project yesterday. Did some brainstorming on various ideas of how to go about this month’s project. I happened to already have about a dozen or so boxes .22 long rifle ammo – small bullets used mostly for target shooting. My boyfriend had given them to me for possibly use in an art project about a year ago – as they’re a bit old and corroded for use. Turned out I finally found a use for them. Today was spent mostly experimenting and playing around with the ammo – just getting a feel for the material and what could be done with it.
After only a few hours, I already remembered how much I love doing art with industrial/functional items like this. I used to do a lot of it in my late teens and early twenties. There is something about taking ordinary, functional or industrial items that one doesn’t usually notice as beautiful and arranging them in such a way that allows people to see their beauty. I explored some possibilities with doing flat art first. Spent a few minutes making this little framed symbol below.. I think doing a larger scale and more ornate version of this could be really beautiful.
After a while I decided to go make my usual Sunday run to the grocery store and picked up some Styrofoam while there. The green kind used for arranging fake flowers worked out really well.. I started out just testing how they’d hold just being pushed into a block…
Then the idea of doing an egg sort of fell on me while walking through my hallway (I have a print showing various types of eggs hanging near the bathroom). It seemed like an interesting place to start – I really love the contrast of life and death and fragility and power there. So I took one of the foam blocks outside with my garlic shredder (basically an awesome miniature cheese-grater) and shaved the block down to an egg shape. An hour or so of work later.. and viola! Bullet egg! This was definitely a fun start to experimenting. I’m excited to see where things go by the end of the month!